Welcome to my 1st blog on my new web site !!
Bill’s Quick Bowling Facts
I am 46 years olf and have been in Bowling basically my whole life !!
Below are many facts and notes of my bowling career … ENJOY !!
• I first started bowling 5 pin at 2 years old.
• bowled organized 5 pin leagues until I was 11 years old.
• At age 12 started bowling organized 10 pin leagues.
• Attened a youth Professional Bowling Camp at age 13 in Wisconsin , USA.
• Began working at Skyway Lanes at the age of 13 ( Lane Maintenance and Mechanics )
• Set a Hamilton and District Association record of 208 average ( at age 14 ) which held for almost 20 years … took great pride in helping the young man who beat my record in 1997 by helping him with his game and providing much technical advice that helped him raise his skills to this level ( must have been the coach in me !! ) Also in 1979 the year I averaged 208 I used just 2 balls … a plastic Yellow Dot and a rubber Johnny Petraglia LT-48 !! No reactive balls or high tech weight blocks like now !!
• Opened my first bowling pro shop in 1979 ( Eleventh Frame Pro Shop ) … at age 14 and have owned or managed 6 other Bowling Pro Shops over the years.
• Bowled my first perfect “300” game at age 14 !!
• Appeared on Buffalo’s “Beat the Champ” TV show at age 16.
• Joined the PBA at age 17 and compeleted PBA members School in the same year.
• Have won tournament titles on 5 continents around the world ( North and South America , Europe , Middle East and Australia )
• Have managed 4 different bowling centers
• Competed for Team Canada 1992 thru 1998 then more recently in 2009 at age 44.
• Was Canadian Bowler of the Year 5 consecutive years ( 1994 , 1995 , 1996 , 1997 , 1998 )
• Won 1 GOLD and 2 Bronze medals at the Pan Am Games in 1995.
• Competed in the ATLANTA OLYMPICS in 1996 as bowling was a exhibition / demonstration sport and won the Atlanta Bowling Challenge ( unofficially an Olympic Gold Medal !! )
• Was an international Staff member for Team Ebonite 1997 & 1998 travelling around the world representing Ebonite International competing in many Competitions.
• Won 5 SILVER Medals at the American Zone Championships in 1997.
• Won a SILVER and a BRONZE medal at the Commonwealth Games in 1998 along with bowling a Nationally Televised 300 game on Live TV .
• Won the 2000 TSN Pins Game
• Volunteered as a youth coach numerous Saturday mornings over the years.
• I am a certified bowling coach / instructor thru the CTF ( Canadian Tenpin Federation ).
• Was the Assistant coach / Technical Expert for the Dominican Republic National Bowling Team from 2002 – 2003.
• Technical Coach for Team Malaysia 2005 – 2006.
• Was asked to coach the Mens Canadian National Team at the 2007 Mens World Championships in Bangkok , Thailand.
• Full Time Head Coach for Team Qatar in 2010 … lived in Doha , Qatar … trained the team 2 – 4 hrs a day and accompanied team to roughly a dozen international competitions around the WORLD !
• Currently own and operate Rowe Zone Bowling Store
• Bowled as an “Exempt” player on the 2004 – 2005 PBA Tour
• Bowled my first PBA “300” game in Grand Rapids , Michigan in 2006
• Bowled my highest sanctioned 3 game series of 856 ( 277 , 279 , 300 ) at Skyway Lanes in Hamilton , Ontario.
• Bowled my highest 3 game set at the Manitoba Open in 2006. The games were ( 300 , 279 , 290 ) for a 3 game triple of 869 !!! 34 out of 36 strikes !! This bowled on 3 different pairs of lanes too !!
• I honestly have no idea of how many perfect games I have bowled in my life ??? But it’s about 30 something for sure !!
• Have been inducted into the Hamilton and District Tenpin Bowling HALL OF FAME.
• Have been indicted into the Canadian Tenpin Federation Tenpin Bowling HALL OF FAME.
• I do offer private bowling lessons … call me in the pro shop (905) 268 0 0117 or send me an email to arrange … firstname.lastname@example.org
As you can see with this kind of bowling background I am in this for the love of the SPORT !!
Look forward to meeting or seeing you in my Bowling Store !!
I started bowling 5pin at the age of 2 years old. My Grandmother used to take me bowling. Funny thing she didn’t know how to keep score. She would come home and say “Bill bowled well today …. he bowled 20 or 25 or 30” …. but she didn’t know that the pins were worth 5 or 3 or 2 each ! All she was giving me for score was 1 point per pin … So I was actually scoring more …. who knows what I scored back then but better things were to come !!!
I started bowling 5 pin leagues at age 6. I bowled 5 pin till the age of 11 then I gave it up for 10 pin.
The reason why I gave up 5 pin was one day our family went 10 pin bowling back when Burlington Bowl first opened up ( around 1977 ) and I loved it so much more than 5 pin. I soon joined the Saturday Morning Junior League at Burlington Bowl.
My first year bowling 10 pin I averaged very “average” …. it was like 140 at Burlington Bowl.
My second year bowling I found out there was another Junior League on Sunday’s at Skyway Lanes I joined that one too.
I switched from Burlington Bowl on Saturday’s to Hamilton Mountain bowl.
My second year of Junior Bowling I averaged in the 160’s at Hamilton Mountain Bowl and in the 180’s at Skyway Lanes.
My third year of Junior Bowling at age 14 I averaged 208 at Skyway Lanes and this Association Record stood for almost 25 years ( keep in mind Jr bowlers now can be up to 21 )
Now the fun stuff begins !!!!
Adult League was a big transition for me. I turned 15 over the summer and bowling with the MEN was not easy … I bowled in the very prestigous Monday Night Classic League at Skyway Lanes where all the “Big Shots” bowled plus the Wednesday Night Mens Classic League at Hamilton Mountain Bowl with my DAD. Being a little guy I was more intimidated by the size of the guys more than anything. I always let the score do the talking.
By this time I had opened my first pro shop ( with my mother as my partner ) at Skyway Lanes called “The 11th Frame Pro Shop”. Danny Downs taught me how to drill bowling balls as we purchased the business from him.
I was beginning the venture into Scratch Tournaments …. locally and over the border … one problem ??? I could not drive yet !!! Many of the guys going would offer rides and it helped out quite a lot !!
I remember qualifying for my first “Beat the Champ” TV show in Buffalo, NY. I was 17 years old. This year I also joined the PBA. I bowled a handful of tournaments and went to the ever popular PBA Members School 1 in Indianapolis, IN. After completing members school I participated in my first PBA National Tournament at Woodland Bowl in Indianapolis …. I say the word “participated” as I had no chance …. I was so green … it’s kind of funny to look back.
In the summer of 1985 I was offered a sponsorship to bowl the whole summer on the PBA Tour …. a little reluctant at first but I finally agreed to this.
My experience was sub par … and it shattered me. I bowled my last tournament in Buffalo in August of 1985 and threw my equipment in the closet for 18 months …. probably the smartest thing I ever did !!
Don’t ask me why …. but in early 1987 I started bowling again …. my first 3 games back were over 700 …. I had heard at the lanes that afternoon that there was a Beat the Champ qualifier the next week …. so I prepared and made the show once again !!
We carry all the goodies for the average and tournament player
Skin patch , rosin , grip sacs , towels , shoe covers , various kinds of tape and numerous wrist supports and gloves … plus more !!!
Come on in and see what we’ve got to offer. If we don’t have what you’re looking for we can special order in something for you !!
We have a large inventory of shoes.
We carry shoes from Dexter / Etonic / East Coast and Brunswick. Shoes start at $ 52.95.
Come on in and see what we’ve got to offer. Should we don’t have what you’re looking for we can special order in something for you !!
*** CURRENTLY ALL BRUNSWICK AND SELECTED DEXTER AND SELECTED EAST COAST SHOES ON SALE NOW ***
We carry a large inventory of bags.
We carry all kinds of bags !! Single shoulder bags … single Roller Bags … Double Tote Bags … Double Roller Bags … Triple Roller Bags and 4 ball Roller Bags … ALL IN STOCK !!
The new website is here!
Brunswick Accessory BagRoomy 10 x 7 designTwo zippered pockets perfect for storing all types of bowling accessories
– Soft full grade leather upper
– Textile lined with padded tongue and collar
– Welted construction with EVA mid-sole for added comfort
– Microfiber slide pad on both feet with FlexSlide Technology
– Non-marking rubber out-sole with raised heel
– Color: Black & Gold
– Sizes: 7-12, 13, 14
ARLINGTON, Texas – United States Bowling Congress President Jim Sturm has stepped down as president of the organization and from the USBC Board of Directors to assume a new position as Executive Director of Bowling Operations for the Tri Properties Hotel and Casino group in Reno, Nev.
“I am excited to have the opportunity to join a team dedicated to renovating the National Bowling Stadium in Reno for future generations,” Sturm said. “I felt stepping aside was necessary to avoid any appearance of a potential conflict and for the protection of USBC.”
Sturm’s role will be to bring corporate groups and conventions to Reno and the Tri Properties that have an affinity towards bowling such as Bowl for the Cure, Bowlers to Veterans Link and International Bowling Museum and Hall of Fame related events. Sturm, a nationally known instructor, also will run a training academy in Reno using USBC coaching and development programs.
The USBC Board of Directors will meet on January 28 for a scheduled board meeting. At that time, they will take action to select a president for the remainder of the term that ends July 31, 2012.
LOS ANGELES – Four time NBA All-Star Chris Paul has a new team and a new home, and he will once again join forces with the Professional Bowlers Association to host the Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational presented by Sheets™ Brand to benefit charities supported by his CP3 Foundation.
Paul, who joined the Los Angeles Clippers at the start of the 2011-12 season, will host the fourth annual fundraiser at Lucky Strike LA Live (800 W. Olympic Blvd., across from the Staples Center) on Thursday, Jan. 12, from 7-10 p.m. PT. Red carpet and pre-show activities will begin at 6:30 p.m.
“The Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational (presented by Sheets™ Brand) is a focal point and one of the highlights of the year for the CP3 Foundation,” said Paul. “We’d like to thank the PBA, Lucky Strike LA Live, ESPN, event sponsors Sheets™ Brand and Storm Bowling Products, and all the participants for making what is becoming an annual tradition for the CP3 Foundation and its charities. It’ll be a lot of fun and I expect to defend my title.”
To date, the following celebrities confirmed to participate include Paul, Reggie Bush (former USC star, Super Bowl winner and Miami Dolphins running back), Blake Griffin (L.A. Clippers forward and reigning NBA Dunk Contest champ), Michael Strahan (NFL great, Super Bowl winner and Fox NFL Sunday analyst), Jesse Williams (of ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy) and comedian Kevin Hart. The made-for-television event which will be taped for broadcast by ESPN on Super Bowl Sunday, Feb. 5, at 4 p.m. ET, just ahead of the Super Bowl telecast.
Chart-topping teen sensation Mindless Behavior will perform music from their current hit CD, “#1 Girl,” one of the biggest selling debuts from a new artist in 2011. The group gained popularity touring with Justin Bieber, Janet Jackson, and the Backstreet Boys and create a frenzy wherever they go. Their new single “Girls Talkin Bout” is climbing the radio charts now.
The PBA Tour will also have an all-star lineup led by PBA Hall of Famer and 35-time Tour titlist Pete Weber; Jason Belmonte of Australia, one of only two players in Tour history to win a Tour title with a unique two-handed delivery; six-time Tour winner Wes Malott, and four-time winner Ryan Shafer. Storm Bowling Products will once again be the official bowling equipment sponsor for the event.
The event is open to the public and information for purchasing tickets may be obtained by calling Lucky Strike LA Live at 213.542.4886 or emailing email@example.com. Ticket prices are $75, $125 and $225.
Paul, an accomplished bowler who often refers to bowling as his second-favorite sport, founded his CP3 Foundation in 2005 as a tribute to his late grandfather, Nathaniel Jones, and the Winston-Salem, N.C., community where he grew up. The foundation provides funding for activities ranging from a scholarship program to food drives to recreational support programs for children in under-served communities in both Winston-Salem and New Orleans.
“The Chris Paul PBA Celebrity Invitational has grown to be one of our most anticipated events every year,” said PBA Commissioner Tom Clark. “Chris and his fellow superstar friends love bowling with our stars and the PBA is proud to partner with the Paul family on behalf of the CP3 Foundation, which continues to brighten kids’ lives.”
Paul and Belmonte have won back-to-back titles in the special event. Celebrity bowlers who have participated in previous events include fellow NBA stars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant and Rudy Gay; NFL stars Hines Ward, LaMarr Woodley, Jack Del Rio and Bush, and hip-hop stars Chris “Ludacris” Bridges, Lil Wayne and Nelly.